Did You Know . . .?

Rev. Fr. Charles McCarthy, Parish Priest of Inniscarra from 1724-1726 and buried in North Kilmurray, had a brother, a tithe proctor, who was killed at the house opposite Cloghroe Church and for which two men were hanged. At that time the Church was in the premises recently occupied by Grand Prix Furniture. Tithes provided financial support to the established Anglican Church of Ireland. The proctor was the collector of the tithe.
Charles Bradlaugh (1833 - 1891) was Member of Parliament for Northampton from 1880 until his death in 1891. As a young man, he served in the 7th Dragoon Guards and was based in Ireland. He was later known as a radical leader and was a campaigner for social and political justice. A sincere friend of the people, his life was devoted to freedom, liberty and justice. A statue of Charles Bradlaugh stands in Abington Square, Northampton.
He wrote of this incident which took place in the vicinity of Inniscarra about 1851, when he was aged just 18:
…….that in 1934, a film called "SWEET INNISCARRA" was released by Columbia Pictures Corporation (GB). It was written, produced and directed by Emmett Moore and starred Sean Rogers and Mae Ryan in a story about a millionaire who poses as a schoolteacher to win the hand of a colonel's daughter.
…….that Jack Desmond, Ballyanly, won an All-Ireland Junior Hurling Medal with Cork in 1925/'26.
…….that Gerald O’Connor, Kilblaffer, won an All-Ireland Minor Hurling Medal with Cork in 1928.
…….the hole for Mrs Collins’s petrol tanks was dug by Christy Hicks with a pick and shovel and that the tank was dropped into place by Dan Desmond. The tank floated out of the hole overnight due to flooding.


That Denny Lane, who composed the beautiful ballad ‘Carrigdhoun’, lived at 72 South Mall, Cork, died on the 29th November 1895 and is buried in his ancestral homeland in Matehy graveyard.
To read more about Denny Lane, please click here.
That James O’Mahony (RIP), Berrings, Paddy Healy (RIP), Creamery Manager, Gortatrea, Tomas Ryan Agharinagh and Donal O’Regan of Rea read the proclamation outside Berrings Church to commerate the 50th anniversary of the 1916 rising.

The Shortest St Patrick's Day Parade in the World

In 1999, to celebrate the end of the Second Millennium and the start of the Third, Dripsey held the Shortest St Patrick's Day Parade in the World, which then became an annual event until 2004. It remained undisputed long after that time, and may still be the record-holder. The parade, in Dripsey Cross, travelled from the front door of the Lee Valley Inn to the front door of the Weigh Inn across the road (and vice-versa the following year). It was great craic and was attended by hundreds of spectators and many entrants in the parade. See more at dripsey.com
SS Inniscarra, built by Wigham Richardson & Co. Ltd, Newcastle in 1903 and owned at the time of her loss by City of Cork Steam Packet Co Ltd, was a British passenger steamer of 1412 tons.

On May 12th 1918, on a voyage from Fishguard to Cork with general cargo, SS Inniscarra was sunk by the German submarine U-86, ten miles SE of Ballycottin Island with the loss of 28 persons.
There is an account of that incident, and more in the Family History of Olive Coleman.
Inniscarra's Link to the American Civil War
There is a grave in the Inniscarra Cemetery, the headstone of which reads: "Mary William, daughter of John Stewart of Belfast, wife of the very reverend Theophilius Blakely, Dean of Down".
She was the mother of Captain Theophilius Alexander Blakely, and an inscription on the side of the grave reads "Mother of Captain Blakely Royal Artillery. Original inventor of improvements in cannon and the greatest artillerist of the age".

Born in 1827 in Sligo, Theophilius Alexander Blakely (known by his preferred name Alexander) became a well-known artillerist from a young age and held several patents. One of these was for a band of wrought-iron to be applied over a tube of cast iron, thereby making for a cannon of much greater strength per weight than other manufacturing processes would allow.
His cannon were used extensively during the American Civil War, particularly by the armies of the Southern States.